Updating documentation for learning disabilities

Most students without a diagnosed disability are ineligible for accommodations through SSD.

To learn about assistance for students with short-term injuries or conditions that affect their ability to take the SAT, an SAT Subject Test, or an AP Exam, see Temporary Medical Conditions.

College students have control over who knows about their disability and how to arrange accommodations; they will also have more responsibility for making those arrangements.

Another common fact is colleges will not ask you about your disability.

The first step is to contact the disability coordinator at your campus to make an official request for accommodations.Disabilities staff can talk with families about the scope of accommodations and support provided at Brandeis, but documentation is not reviewed and individual accommodations are not determined until a student has been accepted and enrolled at Brandeis.Approval for most accommodations requires current documentation (generally, no more than three years old.) While the presence of the condition itself may be undisputed, approval for accommodation requires information about conditions or diagnoses that can manifest differently over time (learning disabilities, AD/HD, psychiatric.) Current documentation is encouraged, also, for a condition that does not change over time, but the physician or specialist may document that reevaluation of the disability is not necessary.The university may require further clarification or information from the physician or specialist.Some psychiatric conditions require updating documentation every six months, as appropriate.

Leave a Reply